Efficacy of Socket Shield Technique for Immediate Implant Placement in Maxillary Anterior Region – A Case Series with Review.
The socket-shield technique is the most crucial treatment modality for esthetic enhancement and ridge preservation technique but it has been less discussed and documented. This case series describes the placement of implants immediately following extraction of a non-restorable which are all fractured and hopeless maxillary teeth and using this technique and functional and esthetic outcomes of the treatment was a successful event.
In this review, immediate implant were placed using socket shield protocol to treat ten patients with non-restorable teeth. Dissection was performed along the long axis of the roots in a mesiodistal direction; and atraumatically the buccal fragment of the root was left attached to the bone while the palatal fragment was extracted. Implants were placed after sequential osteotomy drilling. A customized healing abutment was fabricated chairside to create an emergence profile. During the prosthetic phase, patients had follow-up visits after 4 weeks and after 6 months. The definitive prosthesis was cemented using a cement-retained porcelain fused to metal.
2. Hürzeler MB, Zuhr O, Schupbach P, Rebele SF, Emmanouilidis N, Fickl S, et al. The socket‐shield technique: a proof‐of‐principle report. Journal of clinical periodontology. 2010 Sep;37(9):855-62.
3. Araújo MG, Lindhe J. Dimensional ridge alterations following tooth extraction. An experimental study in the dog. Journal of clinical periodontology. 2005 Feb;32(2):212-8.
4. Chen ST, Buser D. Esthetic outcomes following immediate and early implant placement in the anterior maxilla—a systematic review. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2014 Jan 1;29(Suppl):186-215.
5. Troiano G, Zhurakivska K, Lo Muzio L, Laino L, Cicciù M, Lo Russo L, et al. Combination of bone graft and resorbable membrane for alveolar ridge preservation: A systematic review, meta‐analysis, and trial sequential analysis. Journal of periodontology. 2018 Jan;89(1):46-57.
6. Glocker M, Attin T, Schmidlin PR. Ridge preservation with modified “socket-shield” technique: a methodological case series. Dentistry Journal. 2014 Jan 23;2(1):11-21.
7. Blaschke C, Schwass DR. The socket-shield technique: A critical literature review. International Journal of Implant Dentistry. 2020 Dec;6(1):1-7.
8. Mitsias ME, Siormpas KD, Kotsakis GA, Ganz SD, Mangano C, Iezzi G, et al. The root membrane technique: human histologic evidence after five years of function. BioMed Research International. 2017 Nov 22;2017.
9. Gluckman H, Salama M, Du Toit J. A retrospective evaluation of 128 socket‐shield cases in the esthetic zone and posterior sites: partial extraction therapy with up to 4 years follow‐up. Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research. 2018 Apr;20(2):122-9.
10. Mourya A, Mishra SK, Gaddale R, Chowdhary R. Socket‐shield technique for implant placement to stabilize the facial gingival and osseous architecture: A systematic review. Journal of Investigative and Clinical Dentistry. 2019 Nov;10(4):e12449.
11. Saeidi Pour R, Zuhr O, Hürzeler M, Prandtner O, Rafael CF, Edelhoff D, Liebermann A, et al. Clinical benefits of the immediate implant socket shield technique. Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry. 2017 Apr;29(2):93-101.