Revitalizing Worn-Out Overdenture Attachments in One-Piece Implant Cases using Silicone Matrix System: A Case Report
The case report discusses the use of a silicone matrix system for salvaging worn-out overdenture attachments in one-piece implant cases. It highlights the effectiveness of this technique and presents a detailed case study. One-piece or single-piece implant systems, where the intraosseous and abutment portions with the stud attachments consist of one unit, do not allow changing the worn-out abutment individually if required, thus ruling out any further use of implant and abutment once the attachment component faces extensive irreversible wearing. The ‘Retention. Sil’ – an additional curing elastomeric material in salvaging worn-out attachments of one-piece implants, emphasizes the revitalization process and effective use as an attachment for implant-retained overdenture, thereby extending the clinical use of one-piece implants and avoiding extensive invasive procedures in geriatric patients.
2. Warreth A, Byrne C, Alkadhimi AF, Woods E, Sultan A. Mandibular implant-supported overdentures: attachment systems, and number and locations of implants--Part II. J Ir Dent Assoc. 2015 Jun-Jul;61(3):144-8.
3. Andreiotelli M, Att W, Strub JR. Prosthodontic complications with implant overdentures: a systematic literature review. Int J Prosthodont. 2010 May-Jun;23(3):195-203.
4. Fernandez-Estevan L, Montero J, Selva Otaolaurruchi EJ, Sola Ruiz F. Patient-centered and clinical outcomes of mandibular overdentures retained with the locator system: A prospective observational study. J Prosthet Dent. 2017 Mar;117(3):367-372 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2016.07.013
5. Wagner G, Hartung D. One-Piece Titanium Implants: Retrospective Case Series. Case Reports in Dentistry. 2021 Apr 8;2021. https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/6688355
6. Prithviraj DR, Gupta V, Muley N, Sandhu P. One-piece implants: placement timing, surgical technique, loading protocol, and marginal bone loss. J Prosthodont. 2013 Apr;22(3):237-44. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-849X.2012.00928.x
7. Schweyen R, Arnold C, Setz JM, Hey J. Retentive characteristics of individual and prefabricated polyvinylsiloxane overdenture attachments: alternative treatment options for geriatric patients. Clin Oral Investig. 2019 Mar;23(3):1425-1434. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00784-018-2568-x
8. Karthhik R, Raj B, Kumar GS. In vitro evaluation of cyclic loading on retention strength of Retention. sil and O/ring attachments for tooth supported overdenture. Journal of Oral Research and Review. 2022 Jan 1;14(1):7. https://doi.org/ 10.4103/jorr.jorr_40_21
9. Osman RB, Abdel Aal MA. Comparative assessment of retentive characteristics of nylon cap versus retention. sil in ball-retained mandibular implant overdentures. A randomized clinical trial. Egyptian Dental Journal. 2019 Apr 1;65(2-April (Fixed Prosthodontics, Dental Materials, Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics)):1787-94. http://dx.doi.org/10.21608/edj.2019.72933
10. Khan SM, Issar G, Bansal S, Jagadeesh HG, Tyagi S. A comparative study to evaluate the retention of conventional retention sleeve material versus retention.sil 600 in implant-retained overdentures: In vitro study. Journal of Dental Implants. 2020 Jul 1;10(2):84.