Management of Fenestration in a Non-vital Maxillary Lateral Incisor Using Connective Tissue Grafting: A Pin-hole Surgical Technique.
Mucosal fenestration is clinical entity in which the overlying gingiva or mucosa is also denuded thus the root is exposed to oral cavity. If left untreated, they may be a source of infection by giving entry to oral pathogen, leading to further progression of periodontal disease. Depending on their site of presence, they may also be a reason of esthetic concern to some patients. This case report describes a situation where a mucosal fenestration developed in the upper left lateral incisor, which was successfully treated with followed by subepithelial connective tissue grafting.
1. Ju Y.R., Tsai H.Y., Wu Y.J. Surgical intervention of mucosal fenestration in a maxillary premolar: a case report. Quintessence Int. 2004;35:125–128
2. Jhaveri HM, Amberkar S, Galav L, Deshmukh VL, Aggarwal S. Management of mucosal fenestrations by interdisciplinary approach: A report of three cases. J Endod 2010;36:164-8
3. Yang Z.P. Treatment of labial fenestration of maxillary central incisor. Endod Dent Traumatol. 1996;12:104–108.
4. Chao, John C. "A novel approach to root coverage: the pinhole surgical technique." International Journal of Periodontics & Restorative Dentistry 32.5 (2012).
5. Wong J, Lee AHC, Zhang C. Diagnosis and Management of Apical Fenestrations Associated with Endodontic. Eur Endod J 2021; 6: 25-33
6. Elliot J.R., Bowers G.M. Alveolar dehiscence and fenestration. Periodontics. 1963;1:245–248.
7. Chen G., Fang C.T., Tong C. The management of mucosal fenestration: a report of two cases. Int Endod J. 2009;42(2):156–164
8. Lehman III J, Meister Jr F, Gerstein H. Use of a pedicle flap to correct an endo problem: a case report. Journal of endodontics. 1979; 5(10):317-20.
9. Yang ZP. Treatment of labial fenestration of maxillary central incisor. Dental Traumatology. 1996; 12(2):104.
10. Ju YR, Hsin-Yi Tsai A, Wu YJ, Pan WL. Surgical intervention of mucosal fenestration in a maxillary premolar: a case report. Quintessence international. 2004; 35(2).
11. Lin LJ (1989) The treatment of fenestrated root: case reports. Journal Dental Science 9, 137–40. Maguire H, Torabinejad M, McKendry D, McMillan P, Simon JH (1998) Effects of resorbable membrane placement and human osteogenic protein-1 on hard tissue healing after periradicular surgery in cats. Journal of Endodontics 24, 720–5
12. Tseng CC, Chen YH, Huang CC, Bowers GM. Correction of a large periradicular lesion and mucosal defect using combined endodontic and periodontal therapy: a case report. International Journal of Periodontics & Restorative Dentistry. 1995; 1:15(4).
13. Rawlinson A. Treatment of a labial fenestration of a lower incisor tooth apex. Br Dent J. 1984; 156:448-9.
14. Langer B, Calagna L. The subepithelial connective tissue graft. The Journal of prosthetic dentistry. 1980; 44(4):363-7.
15. Langer B, Langer L (1985) Subepithelial connective tissue graft technique for root coverage. Journal of Periodontology 56, 715–20
16. Zabalequi I, Sicilia A, Cambra J et al. (1999) Treatment of multiple adjacent gingival recessions with the tunnel subepithelial connective graft: a clinical report. International Journal of Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry 19, 199–206
17. Cordiolo G, Mortarino C, Chierico A (2001) Comparison of 2 techniques of subepithelial connective tissue grafts in the treatment of gingival recessions. Journal of Periodontology 72, 1470–6
18. Kita, Daichi, et al. "Treatment of gingival fenestration with connective tissue graft: A case report." The Bulletin of Tokyo Dental College 59.2 (2018): 111-119.
19. Hutton, Christopher G., et al. "Comparison of two different surgical approaches to increase peri‐implant mucosal thickness: A randomized controlled clinical trial." Journal of periodontology 89.7 (2018): 807-814.
20. SULLIVAN, HARLEY C., and JOSEPH H. ATKINS. "The role of free gingival grafts in periodontal therapy." Dental Clinics of North America 13.1 (1969): 133-148.
21. Fickl, Stefan, et al. "Bone loss after full‐thickness and partial‐thickness flap elevation." Journal of clinical periodontology 38.2 (2011): 157-162.
22. Kanas, Robert J., and Scott J. Kanas. "Dental root resorption: a review of the literature and a proposed new classification." Compendium 32.3 (2011): e38-e52.
23. Vitale, Mattia, et al. "Hydroxyapatite-decorated Fmoc-hydrogel as a bone-mimicking substrate for osteoclast differentiation and culture." Acta Biomaterialia 138 (2022): 144-154.
24. Trope, Martin, Alf Bunes, and Gilberto Debelian. "Root filling materials and techniques: bioceramics a new hope?." Endodontic Topics 32.1 (2015): 86-96.
25. Dudeja, Chetna, et al. "An in vitro comparison of effect on fracture strength, pH and calcium ion diffusion from various biomimetic materials when used for repair of simulated root resorption defects." Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD 18.4 (2015): 279.