Intraoral Nevus of Ota : A Case Report and Review
The Nevus of Ota is a melanocyte disorder that primarily affects skin and eye regions innervated by the first two caricatures of the trigeminal nerve, the ophthalmic and maxillary divisions. In most instances, pigmentation involves the skin, eyes, and rarely the intraoral mucosa. The oral cavity is not always involved in cases of opthalmic or dermal melanosis. To the best of our knowledge, fifty five cases of Ota nevus involving the oral cavity have been documented. We have summarized all the cases of nevus of Ota involving the oral cavity until today. We are presenting a case of palatal nevus of Ota in a 50-year-old female patient.
2. Pérez ME, Bley C, Cárdenas C. Nevus of Ota, a classic presentation. Med Clin (Barc). 2019 Jul 19;153(2):92.
3. Ota M. Nevus fuscoceruleusophthalmomaxillaris.Tokyo Med J 1939; 63:1243-5.
4. Wilcox JC. Melanamatosis of skin and central nervous system. Am J Dis Child 1939; 57:391.
5. Alam M, Arndt KA, Dover JS. Laser treatment of nevus of Ota. Dermatologic Therapy 2001; 14:55–59.
6. Das D,Sarma P , Chetri K , Bhattacharjee H, Deshmukh S , Kumari N, Shinde K . Nevus of Ota with palatal involvement and Heliobactor pylori gastritis : A rare case report. Indian J Opthalmol Case Rep 2021;1:83-4
7. Mishima Y, Mevorah B. Nevus Ota and nevus Ito in American Negroes. J Invest Dermatol 1961; 36:133-154.
8. Williams, N. M., Gurnani, P., Labib, A., Nuesi, R., & Nouri, K. (2020). Melanoma in the setting of nevus of Ota: a review for dermatologists. International Journal of Dermatology, 60(5), 523–532.
9. Agarwal P, Patel BC. Nevus Of Ota And Ito. [Updated 2022 Jul 12]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-
10. Bychkov E, Ahmed MR, Gurevich EV. Sex differences in the activity of signalling pathways and
expression of G-protein-coupled receptor kinases in the neonatal ventral hippocampal lesion model of schizophrenia. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2011;14(1):1-15
11. Vivancos A, Caratu G, Matito J, et al. Genetic evolution of nevus of Ota reveals clonal
heterogeneity acquiring BAP1 and TP53 mutations. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res 2016; 29: 247–253.
12. Sakio R, Ohshiro T, Sasaki K, Ohshiro T. Usefulness of picosecond pulse alexandrite laser treatment for nevus of Ota. Laser Ther. 2018 Dec 31;27(4):251-255.