Management of Lateral Periodontal Cyst with Platelet Concentrate
A periodontal cyst (LPC) is considered a rare developmental odontogenic cyst, originates from epithelial rests in the periodontal ligament, and is a non-inflammatory cyst on the lateral surface of the root of a vital tooth. This case report features a 22-year-old female who complained of a painful hyperplastic lesion that had been present for two months between the distobuccal site of her maxillary right lateral incisor (#12) and the mesiobuccal site of her maxillary canine (#13). Radiographically, an interproximal periodontal cyst appears on the side of the root and extends to the apex of an involved tooth as a radiolucent area with a well-defined bordered by a radiopaque line that cannot be differentiated from that of a periodontal abscess. This case report discusses the management of LPC using surgical enucleation with adjunctive use of regenerative platelet concentrate.
2. De Resende, T. A. C., Bastos, V. C., Gomes, C. C., Gomez, R. S., & Fonseca, F. P. (2022). Lateral periodontal cyst: A case report. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, 134(3)
3. El-Naggar AK, Chan JKC, Grandis JR, Takata T, Slootweg PJ, eds (2017). World Health Organization Classification of Head and Neck Tumours, IARC Press: Lyon.
4. Shear, M., & Speight, P. M. (2007). Cysts of the Oral and Maxillofacial Regions. Blackwell Munksgaard.
5. E.A. Bilodeau, B.M. Collins, Odontogenic cysts and neoplasms, Surg. Pathol. Clin. 10 (1) (2017) 177–222.
6. G.P. Wysocki, R.B. Brannon, D.G. Gardner, P. Sapp, Histogenesis of the lateral periodontal cyst and gingival cyst of the adults, Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol. 50 (4) (1980) 327–334.
7. Krier PW. Lateral periodontal cyst. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1980 May;49(5):475.
8. Soluk-Tekkes¸ In, M., & Wright, J. M. (2017). The World Health Organization classification of odontogenic lesions: a summary of changes of the 2017. Turk. Patoloji Derg, 34(1).
9. S. Sivolella, C. Perin, M. Capecchi, V. Buongiorno, and M. Valente (2018) “Guided bone regeneration in the treatment of a lateral periodontal cyst: 2-year clinical and radiologic follow up,” The International Journal of Periodontics & Restorative Dentistry, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 747–754,
10. B.R. Chrcanovic, R.S. Gomez (2019), Gingival cyst of the adult, lateral periodontal cyst, and botryoid odontogenic cyst: an updated systematic review, Oral Dis. 25 (1) 26–33.
11. Nart J, Gagari E, Kahn MA, Griffin TJ. (2007) Use of guided tissue regeneration in the treatment of a lateral periodontal cyst with a 7-month reentry. J Periodontol. Jul;78(7):1360-4.
12. Formoso Senande MF, Figueiredo R, Berini Aytés L, Gay Escoda C. (2008) Lateral periodontal cysts: a retrospective study of 11 cases. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. May 1;13(5):E313-7.
13. Uçok O, Yaman Z, Günhan O, Uçok C, Doğan N, Baykul T. (2005) Botryoid odontogenic cyst: report of a case with extensive epithelial proliferation. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg.
14. Dragonas P, Schiavo JH, Avila-Ortiz G, Palaiologou A, Katsaros T. (2019) Plasma rich in growth factors (PRGF)in intraoral bone grafting procedures: a systematic review. J Cranio maxillofac Surg. 2019;47:443-453.
15. Miron RJ, Choukroun J. Platelet Rich Fibrin in Regenerative Dentistry : Biological Background and Clinical Indications. Wiley Blackwell; 2017.
16. Miron RJ, Fujioka-Kobayashi M, Bishara M, Zhang Y, Hernandez M, Choukroun J. (2017) Platelet-rich fibrin and soft tissue wound healing: a systematic review. Tissue EngPartBRev. 2017;23:83-99.